Saturday, January 10, 2009

kitchen armageddon

I am trying to psych myself up to clean the house but this involves moving lots of inert objects that I haven't thought about doing anything with probably since I moved here. I am sitting here thinking about the fact that I've just eaten my second meal of Popeye's fried chicken since the beginning of the year. Obviously, no New Year's resolutions have been resolved. One resolution is to eat fried chicken at establishments that are not Popeye's. This being Georgia, there are plenty of these places. I think Popeye's draws me back, time and again by, a) drive-thru convenience, b) combo meals, c) mashed potatoes and gravy. This is the only fast-food establishment I frequent where I eschew french fries for another side. The gravy at Popeye's is mysterious, full of pork, and irresistible. If it weren't for this, I might find my fried chicken craving satisfied elsewhere.

I've been threatening kitchen armageddon all week. My kitchen is being taken over by dishes, plasticware, skewers (why do I have hundreds of metal and wood skewers, yet no barbecue?), appliances, lids with no mates and containers of dog-related paraphernalia. To rectify this I feel like I need to empty containers full of crap I will never use (snowglobes? stationery I've owned since I was in kindergarten? receipts?) so I can put plasticware in them in an organized fashion. Why? Why?? Another issue is that this problem is endemic in every area of my home. The laundry room is full of half-empty (or half-full?) paint cans, cabinet doors that will never be used, a make-your-own-soap kit, orphaned clothing that I have tentatively (in my head) saved for "art projects" (ha!!!)

So more accurately, house armageddon is about to commence. I will reward myself with some delicious lamb later.

Ooh, I have to point out that the Doc Green's that closed up in East Cobb near my job has re-opened as a Willy's Mexican Grill - equally overpriced for mediocre food and even worse, inadequate seating. I've previously blogged about the head-scratching success of Doc Green's but watched with glee as the one near where I worked failed, which I don't understand since they were always packed. They will not get any more of my green.

No comments: